Tips The toggle switch can be installed in any location inside the vehicle. This article was written by the It Still Runs team, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, hookup telephone in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. Engine Links You can reuse the rear passing gear throttle kickdown cable bracket on the engine and carburetor if you have the original carb.
You can reuse the rear passing gear throttle kickdown cable bracket on the engine and carburetor if you have the original carb. Allow as much fluid as possible to drain from the broken seal between the transmission and transmission pan. Warnings Never turn on the torque converter lock-up at slow speeds, as this may damage your vehicle. Shift Linkage You can reuse your factory three-speed shifter, dating app sydney but you'll lose control over first gear. Disconnect the negative and positive terminals of the battery.
R4 TCC/lockup wiring - The Forums
Place one hand firmly on the transmission pan and hold it to the transmission case. Add transmission fluid through the transmission fill tube, checking the fluid level every quart to prevent over filling. Back the vehicle off the car ramps. Loosen the transmission pan bolts four or five turns each, and gently pry down on the edge of the transmission pan, being careful to prevent any bending or warping. You can reuse your factory three-speed shifter, usa asian dating but you'll lose control over first gear.
Tips for a Transmission Swap to R4
HOT ROD Rescue Lockup a 700-R4 Torque Converter Without a Computer
Always leave enough extra length when cutting wire, so it can be secured later. Put on safety glasses and place a large drain pan under the transmission pan. Secure all gauge wire to the vehicle with zip ties to prevent any hanging wire. Lock-up Control If you want the torque converter to lock up for better fuel mileage, you'll have to install a lock-up control kit in the transmission pan. Torque the transmission bolts to the manufacturer's recommended torque with a small torque wrench.
- If you want the torque converter to lock up for better fuel mileage, you'll have to install a lock-up control kit in the transmission pan.
- Attach the constant side of the toggle switch.
- Photo Credits shifter image by Brett Bouwer from Fotolia.
- When the solenoid is engaged, fluid is applied to the torque converter clutch, creating lockup and a direct link between the engine and transmission.
- Never attempt to drive a vehicle with low transmission fluid.
- Route this wire through the rubber grommet in the firewall and down to the transmission.
- Drive the vehicle onto car ramps, put it in park, and set the emergency brake.
- Press the transmission pan back onto the transmission and hand-tighten the bolts that secure the pan to the transmission.
- Decide where the toggle switch will be located within the vehicle, and install it.
- This bracket helps to correct for the aftermarket carb's longer throttle levers, preventing a hard, light kickdown.
How to Wire a Switch to Lock Up the Torque Converter on a R Transmission
If you have a Holley or Edelbrock fuel mixer, you'll need a throttle kickdown adapter bracket fitted to the transmission. Locate a body ground under the vehicle and attach one end of the gauge wire to the body ground. Place the new transmission pan gasket over the transmission pan, aligning all holes. Install the new filter into the transmission by gently pushing up on it. To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more about It Still Runs, contact us.